Location-Based Mobile Marketing
The modern marketing is greatly based on the location issue. In the same time, it is quite problematic to deal with location monitoring since it can easily be turned into privacy violations. The recent scandal with Facebook revealing some personal information of users has brought down the company’s shares significantly. Mostly, authoritative modern companies try to deal with this issue without trespassing clients’ privacy. The situations when some company is caught of sharing location-based personal information of clients with third parties can lead this company to a real bankruptcy within days.
The Top Reasons for Checking User’s Location
Mobile location-based marketing can be quite a tricky thing to deal with since the violation of client’s privacy is illegal. In the same time, a big part of data gathered based on the clients’ location greatly helps to provide more targeted services and desirable content. Numerous modern applications work based on the information they get from location sharing function, like Uber service. A bunch of up-to-day applications uses a location function as one of the key options within an app development process. This exact option makes it possible to play such a world famous tournaments like Pokémon Go, for example.
Mostly the developers collect location-based information through application’s in-built functions in order to fulfill the following needs:
- Find how often clients visit a certain location.
- Check the time they spend there and for how long they stay.
- Distinguish which mobile service clients have never been in a chosen location
- Check the influence of the location on the mobile app installs increment.
- Look for ad partners that bring clients to an analyzed location.
There are many other reasons why companies and app developers gather the information concerning a client’s location. Mostly, they tend to provide more advanced and targeted services, desirable personalized content and additional benefits for customers.
How to Start Working with Location-Based Marketing
Every company who wants to gather a needed location-based information without violation of clients’ rights must follow the next rules and principles:
- Always ask clients for permission to get their location information;
- Ask about location permission from the very start of clients work with an app;
- Provide the clear and precise reasons why you need the requested information and always explain the ways the gathered information will be used;
- Explain the way you collect the information (name the channels and tools of location checking);
- Provide an option to skip the location information collecting;
- Provide the customer with the list of third parties who can get access to their location information.
It is important to keep the client well informed about the way you collect and manage the location information in order to avoid any possible privacy violations. If you tend to share the information with third parties, always inform users about familiar actions to keep your activity legal.
Users’ Engagements and Location-Based Information
The usage of the information and location-based data collected from your clients needs to be reasonable. The information must be collected in the right place and the right time. In order to keep good relations with customers, always keep in mind the following recommends:
- Collect only information and data you need for your service improvement.
- Get the information about the location when the user is cooperating with your store, but not when he is asleep.
- It is often reasonable to collect information after the client’s visit. It allows conducting a survey and gathering useful data and opinions.
- Always use location-based information to see how long the user spends a time at the same place. This data greatly shows the interest of the person to a certain place or location.
- Use categories and lists to understand users’ preferences.
- Take a shot to use the context of place in order to change the user’s experience vigorously.
- Do not try to track the user all the time since it will definitely influence the user’s opinion about your company.
- Never share the user’s location information with other users since it is a real interference with user’s privacy.
- It is useful to use advertiser IDs. Anonymization can be very beneficial as well.
- Do not use the in-built amenities that drain the user’s devices battery in order to track constantly the location.
The up-to-date mobile marketing is greatly based on the location-based information and data collected from users. Tracking users helps to improve the provided content and to make it more targeted. In the same time, collecting the location-based information is quite problematic since it can be easily turned into privacy violations. The recent scandal with Facebook revealing some personal information of users has brought down the company’s shares significantly. Commonly, respected companies try to deal with this issue without trespassing clients’ privacy. The situation when the company is caught of sharing location-based personal information of clients with third parties can lead this company to a real bankruptcy. In such a case, it is important to know how to deal with location-based data to get both a needed information for services’ improvement and keep own clients always satisfied.